Thursday, August 14, 2008

Business Trip: Time for taking care of yourself

The apartment is officially connected and I'm home from some traveling I had to do for work. So all things are in order for me to give you the following.

The majority of my business travel leaves me with evenings to myself. If I'm with a co-worker we might pop out and do a little sight seeing or some other form of amusement but I'll usually have at least an hour or two alone in the hotel room. So, I take advantage of the free time to relax and de-stress.

A hot bath is a great way to relieve the aches and pains you acquire in your day to day life (ie. my Ultimate weary body). And a bath bomb travels well, it's small so you can poke it anywhere and it's a dry product so no icky mess.

Exercise is a great way to work out a case of the blahs from sitting down all day staring at the road ahead or at power point presentation. The locations I get sent to don't have gym facilities but they do offer lots of walking/hiking trails. If it's going to rain and you have room, stick an exercise mat in your suitcase and do some yoga or a body resistance workout (I've used the one published in the Women's Health Training Guide 2008).

Finally, there's brain time. It's pretty old school but bring a book. If your not the novel type try a book of short stories (The Ladies of Grace Adieu was a favorite of mine) or a non-fiction, House Thinking gave me a lot to ponder. Pack some paper (such as the notebook you bought because it was cute) and rough out your next blog post (:D) or just write down your thoughts to clear your mind. If your not in the mood for either of those bring a camera (I usually have one with me for work) and try to capture your temporary surroundings.

Once you get home you'll be refreshed and ready to tackle whatever gets thrown your way next instead of bleary eyed and spaced out. It worked for me :)

P.S. No outfit pic today, I'm still dressed in my jeans and white t-shirt work wear.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Sarah I like this blog.

kev

Jane said...

Thanks Kev :)